Adding a shortcut to the iPhone home screen
Shortcuts always are, always have been, and will always be very useful. They have the functionality to make any task easier for you, no matter what. On iPhone, you'll find an app that lets you add a shortcut (or several) to your home screen.
With them, you'll be able to perform the most diverse actions on your Apple smartphone very easily, since you'll create an entire action that will be performed with one touch. Check out how you can do this below!
What is the Shortcuts app?
This app is a very useful tool for iPhones, developed by Apple. The app, in short, allows its users to create macros to perform specific tasks on their smartphones.
These macros can be shared by anyone, so you can find shortcuts to everything online. Initially it was a University of Michigan project under the name WorkFlow.
However, Apple liked it so much that in 2017 (almost 3 years after its introduction) it acquired the program. These days, it's very easy to add a shortcut to your iPhone home screen using the app!
What can I do with Shortcuts?
For starters, it's good to be clear that Shortcuts are a quick and simple way to accomplish many tasks with your apps with just a tap, or by asking Siri.
It comes with 300 default actions so you can streamline your iPhone from the start.
Using Shortcuts, it is possible, for example:
- Ask Siri to tell you the way home;
- Create animated GIFs;
- Create PDFs from different apps;
- Add a link to a page;
- Send text messages;
- Make phone calls;
- And much more!
How to add a shortcut to the iPhone home screen?
Right! Now you know quite a bit of this amazing app, so it's time for us to explain how you can place them directly on your iPhone home screen. To do this, just follow these steps:
- If you don't have a shortcut created, you'll need to create one;
- First open the app from shortcuts;
- Then tap the button + in the upper right corner of your screen to create it;
- There, you'll have to add an action by tapping the button. Add Action;
- As an example, we will teach you how to open a website via a shortcut, in any of the best internet browsers;
- In the top bar it says Search apps and actions, enter the name of the browser you want to create a shortcut to add to the iPhone home screen. For our example, we'll use Chrome;
- tap Open URLs in Chrome. For other apps, you will have a similar option;
- You will see a screen where it is written open URL;
- tap URL and then type in the website you want to visit. In our example, I put apptuts.net, to access the site easily;
- Then tap the settings icon, right next to the X at the top right corner;
- Tap on the first option, the only one in blue, which says Add to Home Screen to add a shortcut to the iPhone's home screen;
- Configure how you want the icon to look and its name;
- By tapping the current icon, you can Choose File, Choose Photo, or Take a picture to use as an icon;
- By tapping on the current name of the shortcut, you can type whatever you like as the name;
- To complete, tap To add to place it on the home screen. Ready!
Did you like our guide on how to add a shortcut to the iPhone home screen?
Leave a comment with your opinion about our article, telling you if we've helped you put shortcuts on the home screen! Also discover Siri voice commands and the best alternatives to Notes!