Top 13 OneDrive Tips and Tricks
There are several cloud storage services you can use, like Google Drive itself or Dropbox. However, one of the best ones available right now is OneDrive, and we'll talk about its best tips and tricks here.
If you want to learn how to use it better and get the most out of it, just check below all the best tips for any user (but especially beginners. So, without further ado, check it out!
1. Sync your files
The first suggestion we have for you is to sync your files by downloading the app that is available for free for Windows, Mac, Android and iPhones!
In fact, that's one of the main strengths of using OneDrive over any of the other cloud storage services: the ability to automatically sync files from your computer.
This is done by enabling sync for a specific OneDrive folder. Whenever you are online, it will be synced to the cloud.
On smartphones, it is not possible to sync all the data, but only the images and videos from your smartphone when enabling Camera Upload. As useful as it is, any other service is also capable!
2. Share files with others!
OneDrive's collaboration possibilities are phenomenal, and this is by far one of the best tips and tricks for using it. The process for sharing is quite simple to do:
- First, right-click on the file or folder you want to share;
- Then click on the option to Share;
- With that, you'll see a series of options (and, if it's your first time sharing, a brief guide;
- You can choose if you want allow editing of the item by anyone with the link, if you want to add a Expiration date, which is when the link is no longer valid, and set password to access it. It's worth mentioning that the last two options can only be used if you are a premium user;
- Still in one of the best OneDrive tips and tricks, you can choose if you want Get a link to send to anyone you want or if you want to share directly by Email, being necessary to enter the recipients' email;
- on the button More, it will also be possible to share directly on social networks, such as Facebook or Twitter, and manage permissions, where you can add people who can access the file;
On smartphones, it's very similar:
- Just first tap the three-dot menu next to the file, in Share, and then send directly to anyone you want;
- By dragging up, you can also configure the link as you like with the options listed above!
3. And find the files shared with you
Another one of OneDrive's best tips and tricks is very simple to do, but it's also very deserving of a place on our list, and rightfully so, it's here. With it, you will learn how to find files that were shared with you!
The steps can be performed either on the web in one of the best internet browsers or in any of the apps for any platform.
Just open the menu of Shared which is on the left of the screen. In it, you will first see what was shared by me and below that will be those shared by others. Each person will have a submenu for them, making organization easier.
On your smartphone, it's very similar. The only difference, actually, is that the menu Shared is at the bottom of the screen!
4. Check version history
Version history is one of OneDrive's most useful and best tips and tricks, as it allows you to avoid making permanent mistakes. In other words, it's really easy to restore previous versions!
It's worth mentioning that you can do this with basically any file in the office suite, including PDFs, CAD, photos, videos, text, and more. Follow the steps:
- First, open OneDrive and navigate to the file you want to restore;
- Then right-click on it;
- In the menu that opens, just click on version history for him to open up;
- Now, click on the three-dot menu next to the modification time and, to see what that version was, click on open file;
- If that's what you wanted, just click on the three-dot menu and click To restore to go back to that version!
Unfortunately, it's not possible to use this one of the best OneDrive tips and tricks on your smartphone, being restricted to computers and browsers.
5. Allow comments on shared files
Comments are a very useful tool on platforms like Google Drive. It's also one of the best OneDrive tips and tricks. However, as much as it is actually possible to leave comments on shared files, this is limited.
In fact, only those who have editing permission can leave comments on shared files! Bizarre, isn't it?
Still, if you want to leave a comment on some file that was shared with you, just open the Details his. In the details panel, you can comment anything you want or even tag other people!
6. Store everything on your computer on OneDrive…
Of course, to be able to store everything you have to buy the paid plan that costs 9 reais a month to get 100 GB of storage, or the 239 reais a year plan to free up 1 TB (and more access to all office package programs at its premium version).
Still, this is certainly another one of OneDrive's best tips and tricks. After all, you'll at least be able to free up quite a bit of storage on your computer.
To do this, just follow the steps below:
- First, log in to OneDrive if you haven't already. Open the Windows file explorer and click on OneDrive on the left;
- Then right-click on the folder. Documents and open the properties;
- Click now on Local, at the top of the screen;
- Click on the option to To move;
- On the left, click on OneDrive and then click on Documents;
- Repeat the process for all folders you want stored on OneDrive!
7. …and with that access your computer remotely!
Just like the title says. With one of OneDrive's best tips and tricks, you'll be able to access any file on your computer remotely, on other computers or smartphones!
This is particularly useful in cases where you need to deliver some project that is only saved on your computer, for example. Of course, it is necessary that it has been backed up (and for that it has access to the internet.
You'll still be able to access everything saved on OneDrive remotely. And if you followed the previous tip, that's it!
But, even better, if you want, it is possible to access the files remotely even without storing them! Of course, for this your computer has to be turned on and with access to the internet, and you have to enable the configuration of Let me use OneDrive to fetch any of my files on my PC.
8. Use two-factor authentication!
If you've been following AppTuts, you know that we really care about your security and recommend that you use two-factor authentication everywhere. This is precisely why this is one of the best OneDrive tips and tricks!
Using two-factor authentication is actually quite simple, and it will also help protect your Windows. Follow the steps:
- To get started, follow the link to the Microsoft account home page;
- Then click on Safety, at the top of the screen;
- You will have to enter the password again for security reasons;
- In the middle of the screen, click on Introduction under Advanced security options;
- You'll have to enter a code received by email in order to make use of one of OneDrive's best tips and tricks;
- On the new screen, under Additional security, click in Activate in the option of Two-Step Security;
- You will see a screen with some instructions. Read them and click on Next;
- Select the way you want to enable two-factor authentication, either via an app, via email, or via SMS. click in Get it now;
- Now follow the onscreen steps for your specific way to login. Ready!
9. Use offline access
As you probably know very well, OneDrive is a cloud storage service. In other words, you need an internet connection to be able to use it.
However, if you are going to be disconnected from the internet for a while, it might be a good idea for you to store some files offline to be able to access in that period of time.
Be it music, movies, videos, or even files for your work, everything is possible by following the steps below:
- On the computer, open the Windows file explorer;
- In the left part of the screen, click on OneDrive;
- Right-click on the file or folder you want to use when disconnected;
- Finally, click on the option Always keep on this device.
You can also use this one of the best OneDrive tips and tricks on your smartphone:
- Open the OneDrive app;
- In the app, browse to the file you want to be available offline;
- Click on the three dots next to it and then tapMake Available Offline;
Unfortunately, to do this on your smartphone, you need to have the premium version of the app.
10. Share an account to save
It's worth mentioning that a really good way to save a lot and still have access to 1TB of storage and all the premium programs in the Office suite is to share an account with the Microsoft 365 Family.
With it, you can share the account with 5 other people, each having their own “account”. That is, each one will have 1 TB each, being separated for each one!
The price… Well, Microsoft 365 Personal costs 359 reais a year, or 36 reais a month. The Microsoft 365 Family costs 449 reais a year, or 45 reais a month. If you have 6 people on the plan, it will cost just under 75 reais a year for each one, or exactly 7.50 reais a month for each!
Is it or isn't it one of OneDrive's best tips and tricks?
11. Sync your notes automatically!
Another really cool thing you can do in this program is sync all your notes created with OneNote directly to OneDrive, to access anywhere later.
The OneNote app is without a doubt one of the best note apps, being very organized and simple looking. Allows you to create complete to-do lists, and much more. To download it, just follow the link!
12. Edit files simultaneously
Another one of OneDrive's best tips and tricks is simultaneous editing of your files. This has been available on services like Google Drive for a long time, but relatively recently OneDrive has allowed it as well.
You can now edit Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote files simultaneously. In short, this means you can view and edit them at the same time as other members of your team, team, or group.
This is extremely useful when you really want to be productive when doing a project.
13. Use the scan tool!
The last of OneDrive's best tips and tricks is the scan tool that's included in the mobile app. It works very similarly to the iPhone Notes app.
With it, you can essentially scan documents using nothing more than your smartphone camera. Of course, the camera must be good, otherwise the result will leave a lot to be desired.
To use it, follow the steps:
- Open the OneDrive app;
- At the bottom of the screen, in the center, tap the icon for Camera;
- Now you'll need to allow the app access to the camera to use one of OneDrive's best tips and tricks;
- Choose what kind of thing you want to capture from, Document, whiteboard, Business card, or Photograph;
- To scan, choose Document;
- After capturing, you can choose whether to always adjust the edge after capturing or not. We recommend that you do;
- tap Confirm to proceed, adjust as desired, and complete by tapping Concluded!
Did you like our guide to the best OneDrive tips and tricks?
So, can we help you to use OneDrive even better? Leave a comment with your opinion about our article (and the program)!
Images by DepositPhotos.